darthchaos
Rookie Trainer
favorite pokemon: Sceptile
Favorite Type: Dragon
Team Sun Or Moon: Team Moon

Re: The Chronicles of COTH

Postby darthchaos » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:12 pm

Those battles, literally the best things I have ever seen
Let's have fun now that you're here. Let's go Sceptile!
FC:1392 7922 5426 IGN:ch
Come find me on showdown Name:darthchaos
Snurfsnarf
Admin
favorite pokemon: Rayquaza
Favorite Type: Anything but Fairy
Team Sun Or Moon: Team Sun
Nature: Modest

Postby Snurfsnarf » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:01 pm

Chapter 6: A New Challenger Approaches

It had been months since PIMPNITE's battle with COTH, and the self-proclaimed god was still nowhere to be found. COTH was an occasional topic of discussion, with many chatters wondering if he would ever re-appear.

Late one evening, when only a few chatters were online, a user by the name of Epicmon51 appeared. He spoke of his desire to battle PIMPNITE, which was not an uncommon occurence. The chat attracted many people who would stop by and hope to get a battle by simply leaving a comment on the channel. Epicmon, however, was persistent. Much like COTH, Epicmon showed clear confidence that he could defeat PIMPNITE. Unlike COTH, however, Epicmon lacked an excessive superiority complex. He did eventually begin boasting about immense wealth, though.

A couple nights later, Epicmon returned at the same time of day. Unlike COTH, who spoke in all caps, Epicmon's message had a distinct lack of capital letters, which gave his messages a less grating tone. While Epicmon seems to bear a near uncanny resemblance to COTH on paper, his behaviors were so different that no connection was initially made. After several visits, however, Epicmon quickly developed an obsession.

As Epicmon's late-night visits continued, his persistence only increased. He began to spam PIMPNITE's YouTube inbox with incessant battle requests, and he would brag about how his guerrilla messaging tactics were guaranteed to land him a battle. After several chatters attempted to convince him that he was wasting his time, since deleting PMs was significantly faster than sending them, he claimed to have downloaded a program designed to send messages in bulk. The following morning, PIMPNITE's complaints of a clogged inbox only seemed to confirm this claim.

So, did the spam actually work? Well... no. Whether or not Epicmon actually got his battle is unknown (i.e. I honestly don't remember), but it certainly helped drive his desire to defeat PIMPNITE in a battle. Epicmon would be making far more appearances down the line, but before we get to those, there is still one other person we need to discuss...

Up next...
Chapter 7: The Apprentice
Snurfsnarf
Admin

Postby Snurfsnarf » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:03 pm

...And we're back! Sorry about the hiatus, everyone. Lots of things have been getting in the way with personal life, but get ready for more Chronicles of COTH in the coming days. :)
Pimpnite
Admin
favorite pokemon: Dragonite
Nature: Adamant

Postby Pimpnite » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:00 pm

"He did eventually begin boasting about immense wealth, though".

LOL

good to see this back <3

Pretty sure someone (forget username) did battle him on chat and all the pokemon had names to do with some money related things and all legendaries. Hoping to find a screenshot somewhere :/
Talonflame Is by far the hardest pokemon to use followed closely by Mega Rayquaza :kai: FC: 2165-6175-8486 IGN: Pimp
KonekoEmzee
favorite pokemon: Pidgeot
Favorite Type: Flying
Nature: Quiet

Postby KonekoEmzee » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:29 am

Pimpnite wrote:Pretty sure someone (forget username) did battle him on chat and all the pokemon had names to do with some money related things and all legendaries.

Was it Seto Kaiba? :3
Snurfsnarf
Admin

Postby Snurfsnarf » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:35 am

Pimpnite wrote:Pretty sure someone (forget username) did battle him on chat and all the pokemon had names to do with some money related things and all legendaries. Hoping to find a screenshot somewhere :/

Yep, I remember that. It was Screptile. Remember him? =P
Pimpnite
Admin
favorite pokemon: Dragonite
Nature: Adamant

Postby Pimpnite » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Yep sure do, then he went crazy one day :P
Talonflame Is by far the hardest pokemon to use followed closely by Mega Rayquaza :kai: FC: 2165-6175-8486 IGN: Pimp
Seaweebs
Rookie Trainer
favorite pokemon: Dhelmise
Favorite Type: Ghost and Dark

Postby Seaweebs » Tue May 09, 2017 2:45 am

A personal account from Snurfsnarf...
[i]I couldn't tell you what sparked the idea, but during one of COTH's visits to the chat, I realized that the L's in "CallOfTheHaunted100" looked identical to capital i's in the font that YouTube used. So I created a new YouTube account with the username "CaiiOfTheHaunted100," except with capital i's. I then changed the account's profile picture to match COTH's. Upon entering the chat with this new account, my messages appeared as though they were being made by COTH himself. The only way to tell the difference was by clicking on the username and visiting the channel itself. Using my fake COTH account, I used COTH's signature all-caps and mocked him. I even sprinkled in the occasional FATE or DESTINY. After realizing what was going on, the chat was in an uproar, and COTH's initial reaction had me laughing hysterically. He had no idea how to react, and his emotions were a combination of anger and confusion.

LOL :kai:
Rip DP Remakes :kai:

P.S I'm a big "FAN" of Fan Club 2 :kai:
FC: 0963 2998 6192 IGN Brandon, Im up for a battle or trade whenever :D
Snurfsnarf
Admin

Postby Snurfsnarf » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:52 am

Chapter 7: The Apprentice

The third and final "character" in these chronicles started out innocently enough. A user by the name of "Arceusking1000" (which will be shortened to "AK1000" from here on out) arrived in the chat one day looking for battles. His behavior was normal, and his motivations were par for the course. His original intentions were simply to become another regular chatter and take part in battles with his fellow chatters. Unfortunately, he did not make a positive first impression.

At this point in the chronicles, it is important that everyone understands the chat and its community, as well as the impact that it had on the story as a whole. PIMPNITE's chat was relatively serious about battling at the time. Most of the chatters actively took part in battles, particularly with one another, and they all held a similar desire to improve and learn. This sounds fairly standard on paper, but there was a large amount of friendly competition between chatters. As a result, the average skill level amongst the chatters was quite high, and very few chatters held casual outlooks towards the Pokemon games. This was also a time when PIMPNITE himself focused primarily on standard battles for his uploads. The public's interest in seeing high-level play was on the rise, and PIMPNITE was emerging as a highly-skilled player. Epic sweeps and theme teams were not a thing yet.

So why is this so important? Well, when AK1000 showed up looking for battles, he was adamant about a "no legendaries" rule, while completely disregarding what was and was not considered uber. Because the chat took Pokemon battles seriously, the initial response was to explain the difference between legendaries and ubers, and why it was silly to allow Garchomp and Salamence but ban Articuno and Phione. By today's standards, his ruleset would allow non-legendary ubers like Aegislash, and ban even the weakest of what might be considered a legendary, such as Cosmog. Despite these explanations, AK1000 would not budge on his ruleset. In fact, when a fellow chatter by the name of Dragonomi17 battled AK1000 and swept him with an Azelf, AK1000 actually uploaded the battle to his YouTube and, in his commentary, explained that, "Dragonomi17 cheated by using a legendary, so I actually won." This cocky and impudent attitude exuded by AK1000 caused the chatters to gradually develop a hatred towards him.

A personal account from Snurfsnarf...
I actually distinctly remember being one of the last people in the chat to "turn" on AK1000. His behavior towards most people was seldom friendly, and he was definitely a bit cocky, but I felt bad for how quickly much of the chat began treating him poorly. We did battle at one point, and because my standard teams did not happen to have any legendaries, I didn't mind the silly restriction. I did beat him fairly handily in our battle, but I remember him actually pointing out how happy he was to have done as well as he did when he uploaded our battle to his YouTube channel. Looking back, he actually had a surprising amount of respect for me, particularly as a Pokemon battler. I do feel bad for some of the things I said and did to him at the time, and in more recent years, we have since talked on friendlier terms and resolved any issues we may have had. I think it's important that I point this out, because a lot of the things said about him in the upcoming chapters will seem harsh, and will likely make him appear foolish and mean. And that's okay, because at the time, he was foolish and mean. But he was younger and more naive, as we all were at a time, and he has since outgrown these things. Try to keep this in the back of your mind while reading about AK1000.

As time went by, AK1000's behavior seemed to get worse. Interactions with other chat members were usually mean-spirited from both sides. His superiority complex became more developed, and he was not quiet about it.

...Starting to sound familiar?

Indeed, AK1000 was starting to become more and more like COTH. For some reason, his hatred of the chat expanded, and AK1000 developed a distinct hatred towards PIMPNITE as well. It was unclear what sparked this specific hatred, but when it started, it showed no signs of stopping. While AK1000 never did develop an all-caps speech pattern (thank the Lord), his resemblence to COTH was hard to ignore. This fact became clearer once COTH decided to begin revisiting the chat after his hiatus of humiliation.

The COTH visits themselves were not notable at first, but as AK1000's opinion towards PIMPNITE became worse, his opinion towards COTH seemed to improve. It's hard to say exactly what caused this chain of events. One theory is that AK1000 began to enjoy the constant negative attention that he garnered while in the chat. Much like any other Internet troll, AK1000 craved the attention, even if it was hateful in nature. So, when he saw the similar treatment COTH received, perhaps he saw it as an opportunity to build on this negativity. As silly as it sounds, maybe AK1000 saw himself in COTH, or maybe COTH saw himself in AK1000. Whatever the case may be, AK1000 began showing distinct admiration towards COTH, and he attempted to befriend him. The entire process was gradual, and many of the exchanges likely took place within PMs outside of the chat, but over time, AK1000 developed a strange friendship with COTH. But COTH did not tone down his persona of godliness; rather, he seemed to utilize it. He eventually adopted AK1000 as his "apprentice," seemingly to teach AK1000 of his ways as a troll god.

The chat's response to all of this was obviously negative. The two trolls of the chat banding together? And with an apprenticeship no less? Oh, but that was just the beginning. In fact, their alliance was still missing one more member...

Up next...
Chapter 8: Moneybags
(no, not the mod)
Snurfsnarf
Admin

Postby Snurfsnarf » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:57 am

...And, once again, we're back! I'm incredibly sorry about the delay on these. I will try to get more of these written before long, but I can't make any promises.

As for Chapter 7, I would also like to apologize for the lack of specific details, particularly in the second half. The exact timeframe that is covered by Chapter 7 is unknown, but it was at least several months, so things were very gradual. Also bear in mind that this all took place 6+ years ago, so it's hard to remember everything clearly.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy the first taste of AK1000. There will be more to come. :)

Return to “COTH”